This Privacy Notice provides an overview of the types of personal information we collect, how we routinely use it and who we may share it with. Within this notice we also explain the security measures we take to protect personal information, and how you can contact us to answer any questions you might have about our privacy practices. It particularly applies to information we collect about:
- visitors to our website;
- people who email / contact Alan Brown MP;
- people who contacts us in relation to information requests, complaints and general queries;
- job applicants and current and former staff.
6 principles of good data privacy
Alan Brown MP and his office follow the 6 principles of data privacy, which are:
- Personal data should be fairly and lawfully processed and should be done so in a transparent manner, ensuring that you are aware of both what and why we are processing your data;
- Personal data should be processed for limited purposes and the purpose must be specified;
- Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive, meaning we will only collect as much as we need to carry out our essential processing;
- Personal data should be accurate and up to date: if it is not, we will correct it within 1 month of receiving the request to correct;
- Personal data should not be kept longer than necessary. To ensure this we observe an information retention policy;
- Personal data must be secure. Alan Brown MP has in place appropriate technical and organisational measures to prevent accidental or deliberate loss, destruction or damage.
Personal data that you provide to us
You may choose to provide personal information (such as your name, address, telephone number and email address) to us in a number of ways:
If you communicate with us through the “Contact Us” link on this site, we may ask you for information such as your name, email address and telephone number so we can respond to your questions and comments.
Any email sent to us, including any attachments, is monitored for malicious content.
When we receive an information request, comments, compliments or complaints, we may generate a file. This normally contains the identity of the requester or complainant.
Alan Brown MP will only use the personal information collected to process the matter and to check on the level of service provided.
Personal information contained in these files will be kept in line with Alan Brown MP's information retention policy. It will be retained in a secure environment and access to it will be restricted according to the ‘need to know’ principle.
Under Article 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation we are obliged to provide information about your rights in relation to the data collected. You are entitled to:
- Be informed about how we use your data, (which is outlined in this privacy notice);
- Know how long we will keep your data. This will be as required by law or where stated by our retention schedule;
- Be advised of our reason for processing the data;
- Be provided with a copy of the information held, if required (this is known as a Subject Access request)
- Have any information held corrected, if what we hold is wrong;
- Ask us to no longer process your information;
- Have data erased if no longer relevant, if not subject to overriding law;
- Complain about how we use your data to the Information Commissioners Office;
- Object to automated decision making and profiling.
Social Media Platforms
Communication, engagement and actions taken through external social media platforms that this website and its owner participate on are custom to the terms and conditions as well as the privacy policies held with each social media platform respectively.
Users are advised to use social media platforms wisely and communicate / engage upon them with due care and caution in regard to their own privacy and personal details.
This website may use social sharing buttons which help share web content directly from web pages to the social media platform in question. Users are advised before using such social sharing buttons that they do so at their own discretion and note that the social media platform may track and save your request to share a web page respectively through your social media platform account.
Although this website only looks to include quality, safe and relevant external links, users are advised adopt a policy of caution before clicking any external web links mentioned throughout this website (External links are clickable text / banner / image links to other websites).
The owner of this website cannot guarantee or verify the contents of any externally linked website despite their best efforts. Users should therefore note they click on external links at their own risk and this website and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any external links mentioned.
This privacy notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites.
We keep our privacy notice under regular review. This privacy notice was last updated on 17 May 2018.